Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Sep 18, 2008

a matter of perspective

Just when I thought I was no longer an Oleh Chadash, I was told I am...

I was sitting on the train home from work yesterday evening and I was trying to catch a few winks of shuteye. The elderly woman that sat opposite me was chatting with somebody else who had sat down nearby.

When that person got off, she decided to continue her conversation with me. She turned out to be a pleasant old woman. She kept going on and on how beautiful everything is -Bet Shemesh, Modiin, the train stations, the airport terminal, etc.

She told me about her kids who lived in the US for a few years and how she enjoyed the rain in Seattle so much, LA was too hot, etc.

The climate in bet Shemesh is great..

Then she asked me how long I have been in Bet Shemesh. I answered over 9 years. It's coming - she chuckled and said - "Ata Oleh Chadash!" - you are a newcomer.

It turns out she moved to Bet Shemesh from jerusalem 50 years ago. When Bet Shemesh was not a city of 90,000 or so people like it is today. Not even a city of 20,000 people like it was 10 years ago. 50 years ago Bet Shemesh was not even a village. It was what is known in Hebrew as a "Ma'abarot" - a transit camp. And before that her family had lived a number of generations in Jerusalem.

I guess compared to that I still am an oleh chadash. It is all a matter of perspective.

3 comments:

  1. Did ya ask her who she's voting for??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was tempted, but she was nice, and political discussions always get heated....so I did not want to ruin it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet.

    I can tell you that even 30 years ago, when I used to deliver bread from Angel early on Friday mornings to the makolot, Beit Shemesh was just a small town. We used to do night nivutim (navigation hikes) in the hills around Beit Shemesh.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...