Featured Post

Free The Hostages! Bring Them Home!

(this is a featured post and will stay at the top for the foreseeable future.. scroll down for new posts) -------------------------------...

Jun 9, 2013

Facebook Status of the Day

The truth is that originally I was planning on using MK Adi Koll's initial statement as my QoTD, but with her explanation posted to Facebook about what she meant, I decided to change it to FSoTD...

and, yes, just like the religious need more general education, the secular need more Jewish education...

Translation following the screen grab..

(MK Adi Kol from Yesh Atid was called by Israel Army Radio and was asked what she thought about Parshat Korach.  She admitted that she did not know anything about it and actually felt ashamed that she did not know about it.  She explained that she always felt bad having to ask her religious friends to remind her why we do certain things like lighting the menorah on Shabbat.  So, she decided to read the Parsha.   She read it and said that her first reaction was to identify with Korach - that even though he did not know as much as Moshe and Aharon, his line that "the entire nation is holy" resonated with her.  Why should she feel less Jewish because she knows less as she is made to feel and why can't she lead even though she knows less.  This led to a firestorm of criticism - with headlines that "MK Adi Koll wants to be a leader like Korach."  )





"I would be happy to say that my words about Korach were taken out of context but they weren't.  My words were not precise and clear and this enabled the misunderstanding which found its way into the newspapers.  So I am going to try again.  

I was not flaunting the fact that I don't know enough about Judaism.  I am not proud of this.  Just the opposite.  I wish I knew more and learned more - from a an embracing and partnering source and not from a distancing and threatening approach.  I read Parshat Korach.  I know that he is "one of the bad ones.  Today he would be called a tycoon and no one would be surprised if he fought against political appointments which did not include him and members of his family.  I also know that he failed in his test of leadership with Moshe put him to and he was swallowed by the ground with all his cohorts and property.  But Korach's argument which led to his rebellion - that Moshe, Aharon, and their relatives see themselves as higher than the rest of the nation and, therefore, they can lead, simply because they are "more Jewish," was worthy of addressing in my eyes.  The treatment of those who don't know as much and don't live a life according to the Jewish mitzvot as they are explained and understood by specific groups in the populations - that we are not Jewish enough and not worthy is disgusting in my eyes.  

Who are you to establish that I, who doesn't know the weekly Torah portion, am not Jewish enough?  Or that Dov Lipman, my friend in our party, a Haredi who believes in God, who believes that Haredim should serve in the army and work, is not Haredi enough?  Isn't this the acting superior which Korach was talking about?  Isn't this the superiority which caused me and my friends not to look more into our Jewish identity to begin with?  

So, no.  I do not want to be a leader like Korach.  I don't know if I even want to be a leader.  I was voted into office by the public and, therefore, feel a responsibility to lead and direct and to do it in the most sincere and authentic manner I can.  

And I also want to define my Jewish identity.  By myself.  Through learning and thinking.  Through analysis and reading.  But not through being forced and disrespect. 

Your knowledge of the weekly Torah portion does not make you better or more Jewish than me.  It just makes you responsible to find a way to inspire me and my friends to want to know more.  Shabbat shalom."  


------------------------------------------------------
Reach thousands of readers with your ad by advertising on Life in Israel
------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

  1. I think that this is a positive step, and has increased my respect for the Yesh Atid party.

    Ms Koll admits that like many secular Israelis, she knows little about Jewish tradition, but she sees this as a problem which she would like to rectify.

    Her specific message from parshat Korach is based on a very superficial reading of the parsha, but the fact that she took the time to read the pasha and try to learn something from it is a positive step.

    Maybe next year if she reads the same parsha she will get a deeper understanding, that's why we read the same parsha every year.

    I wish that all Jews would take a few minutes of their schedule to look over the week's parsha and use that as a source to start a conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except for the fact that nobody in the public actually asked her to be an MK or voted her in, she makes good points :P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...